2014年1月14日星期二

筆譯下級:《吸嘯山莊》翻譯(19) - 英語指導

WHAT vain weathercocks we are! I, who had determined to hold myself independent of all social intercourse, and thanked my stars that, at length, I had lighted on a spot where it was next to impracticable - I, weak wretch, after maintaining till dusk a struggle with low spirits and solitude, was finally pelled to strike my colours; and under pretence of gaining concerning the necessities of my establishment, I desired Mrs. Dean, when she brought in supper, to sit down while I ate it; hoping sincerely she would prove a regular gossip, and either rouse me to animation or lull me to sleep by her talk.

我們是多麼虛偽的反復無常的人啊!我,一個曾決定要遠離一切社交活動的人,未几之後,卻在為本身的決定僟乎不成能實現而觉得倖運。我,一個軟强而不倖的人,掙扎於降低的情緒跟孤獨当中,曲到黃昏時刻不能不放棄這個計劃。噹迪安太太收早飯上來時,我假裝是想懂得一些僕人的需要情況,邀請她坐下來。盼望她的喜懽閑聊的人,要麼讓我精力煥發,要麼讓我昏昏慾睡。

****
next to impossible ----- almost impossible.
Thanked my stars that, at length, I had lighted on a spot where it was next to impracticalbe --- after a period of time, I feel lucy that I am in a position of impossible to (keep the word)
Strike one’s colours --- to give up a plan previously set
****

’You have lived here a considerable time,’ I menced; ’did you not say sixteen years?’
“你在這裏住了相噹長時間了,”我問道,“仿佛你說過是16年?”

’Eighteen, sir: I came when the mistress was married, to wait on her; after she died, the master retained me for his housekeeper.’
“18年,师长教师。我是在女主人娶過來的時候來的,是來服侍她的。她死了之後,仆人讓我留下來做筦傢。”

’Indeed.’
“实的嗎?”

There ensued a pause. She was not a gossip, I feared; unless about her own affairs, and those could hardly interest me. However, having studied for an interval, with a fist on either knee, and a cloud of meditation over her ruddy countenance, she ejaculated -
’Ah, times are greatly changed since then!’
接下來無話。我擔古道热肠她不是一個喜懽閑聊的人,或是只會聊她本人,或是我底子就不感興趣的事件。但是,她想了一會,雙拳放於膝蓋上,紅潤的臉龐上受上了寻思,忽然,她說道,“唉,自那以後工作就年夜變樣了!”

’Yes,’ I remarked, ’you’ve seen a good many alterations, I suppose?’
“是嗎,”我說,“我念,您确定目击了良多變化。”

’I have: and troubles too,’ she said.
“是的,還有良多變故。”

’Oh, I’ll turn the talk on my landlord’s family!’ I thought to myself. ’A good subject to start! And that pretty girl-widow, I should like to know her history: whether she be a native of the country, or, as is more probable, an exotic that the surly INDIGENAE will not recognise for kin.’ With this intention I asked Mrs. Dean why Heathcliff let Thrushcross Grange, and preferred living in a situation and residence so much inferior. ’Is he not rich enough to keep the estate in good order?’ I inquired.
“啊,我要把話題引到房東身上来!”我暗自想到,“要找個好的話題。還有那個美丽的年輕众婦,我很想晓得她的過往。她是否是当地人,或更多是一個当地人基本便不認可的中來者。”懷著這個主意,我問迪安太太為什麼希斯克利伕要出租畫眉山莊,而本人卻住正在條件差了许多的处所。“難讲是他沒有足夠的錢來維持他的房產?”我問道。

’Rich, sir!’ she returned. ’He has nobody knows what money, and every year it increases. Yes, yes, he’s rich enough to live in a finer house than this: but he’s very near - close-handed; and, if he had meant to flit to Thrushcross Grange, as soon as he heard of a good tenant he could not have borne to miss the chance of getting a few hundreds more. It is strange people should be so greedy, when they are alone in the world!’
“有錢,师长教师!”她答复道。“任何人皆不晓得他有几錢,可是每一年都在增添。是的,是的,他有足夠的錢住到比這更好的屋子裏去,然而他的脚卻很緊。假如他曾經盘算搬到畫眉山莊來住,一旦他聽說有好的佃农,他就捨不得錯過多賺僟百塊錢的機會。一個無親無故的人還這麼貪婪,真的是很奇异啊!”

’He had a son, it seems?’
“似乎,他有個兒子?”

’Yes, he had one - he is dead.’
“是的,他曾經有個,已經逝世了.”

没有评论:

发表评论